Total Pageviews

Monday 3 December 2018

REDEFINING THE AL-SHABAB NARRATIVE



Shabab! Shabab! an excited Egyptian Police officer muttered upon viewing my official identity documents handed me upon accreditation at the World Youth Forum Held at Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt between 3rd-6th November under the auspices of the Egyptian President, Abdel Fatah el-Sisi.
The Making of Al-Shabab!
Despite my fore knowledge of the word ‘Shabab’ as an Arabic word meaning ‘Youth’; up till that moment in Egypt, I despised being referred to as ‘Shabab’ though I would regard myself as youth. My reason was not farfetched. I first heard about the word ‘Shabab’ in 2006 as referring to an emergent Islamic militia organization in Somalia upon the crushing of the defacto governing Islamic Court Union by the Ethiopian Army in Mogadishu. Ever since then, Al-Shabab militia had gained notoriety in the irresponsible sense for frustrating lasting peace moves in that country. The grouping is even regarded as a terrorist organization by most governments in the international scene.
Coming from a country which has a similar adjudged militia grouping in Boko- Haram, I would certainly not admire being referred to as Boko Haram, as such I resented being referred to as Shabab.
My experience at the World Youth Forum changed all that phobia. I had always read about Egypt from my Bible and in later years from several study books at School and my personal collection and was held in awe of its status as the cradle of civilization. Nevertheless I was mystified by what truly shaped Egyptian Identity whether it was African? Or Arab?
Mesmerised at the Egyptian Identity, I took time to understand the Seven Pillars of Egyptian Identity

The first course of induction at the WYF was being taken through the seven pillars of Egyptian Identity and then I clearly understood the nature and values of her people which was ingrained in Pharaonic, African, Greco-Roman, Coptic, Arabic, Islamic, Mediterranean. Of course I was able to interact with Egyptian who shared these individual heritage pillars.
Marhaba! Was another word I found very useful from my rag-tag Arabic Vocabulary. Being able to say hello to Egyptians and indeed teeming youths across the Arab world brought smiles and interactive opportunities which I relished. I got blessed after such conversations with ‘Mashallah’.
The World Youth Forum had over 5000 attendees from over 160 Countries across the globe. It was the most diverse and immense summit I have ever attended. Held under the auspices of the Egyptian President, Abdel Fatah El-Sisi, in my view heralded an awakening for Egyptian Soft Power dominance across the Arab World and Africa.
With Ethiopia's Bitania Lulu. WYF afforded an opportunity to reconnect with contacts of the past from similar youth gatherings
Historically, the Pharoahs have by the innovations and inventions they helped drive shaped our world in mathematics, geometry, medicine, religion, architecture and all field of human endeavour. The Egyptian soft power trend continued through the ages of the Alexandrian-Hellenistic Ptolemies birthing the light house at Pharos and the magnificient Alexandrian Library; to that of Coptic Christianity borne out of the endeavour of St Mark the Evangelist which birthed Ascetics and calls in to piety, preserving vital Christendom history in Monasteries on the Sinai and Western Deserts. The Fatimid Caliphs birthed the World’s Oldest University, Al-Azhar, and the endeavours of the Mamluk and Ayyubid Caliphs which is ingrained in as the Eagle of Saladin in the current Egyptian flag lives in perpetual eminence.
Foremost Egyptian Nationalist leader Gamel Abdel Nasser talked about Heroic roles abounding for enthusiasts to take on and such was the endeavour of the World Youth Forum. Borne out of the Egyptian Presidential Leadership Programme, which was instituted as an annual event to harness the demographic dividend of youth from all climes. The programme of events comprised Start up Vein show case, Theatre performances, Several Panel discussion and workshop segments on topical world issues, Model of Arab Africa Summit among other events.
I had an enthralling experience at the FREEDOM.E

I participated at the Model Arab Africa Summit and found time to grace a few workshop sessions. Most enthralling of all was the Freedom.E arena which afforded the opportunity for medieval café-like talk sessions. It was pricking to note the omnipresence of the Egyptian President and his wife at almost all the sessions. Intriguing still was the invitation of the Arab gentry to the event, notable among which were the Palestinean and Sudanese Presidents.
Relaxing at the banks of the Red Sea after a dip in its saline waters

There was much support for people living with disabilities, and stand out youths were awarded prizes for their sundry endeavours. Of note was Zondwa Mandela, Grandson of Nelson Mandela.
For a foodie like me, there was lot to eat and drink. The organization was next to perfect with very few or non existent tangible complaints. Held at the fringes of the Red Sea, I found some time to have a deep in its Saline Waters leaving with regrets of not being able to see the ancient Pyramid wonders.
I love food and relish any dining momemt

The last word I utilized from my rag tag Arabic Vocabulary was Shukran! Or how best would I have appreciated the foresight and magnanimity of the current Egyptian leadership? Around our world, billions of dollars are budgeted for needless war equipments in Nuclear bombs, Stealth Fighter Planes and Ballistic Missile Technology but the Egyptian leadership chose to invest in youth!
My Shukran won’t be enough without reeling out the WYF recommendations, one of which called for another youth gathering at the Nubian heart land of Aswan on the banks of the Nile. The Egyptian President promised to fund and drive research in science and technology, business initiatives and Start-ups.

While the African continent sleep-walks the development drive, Egypt has provided a catalyst and surely we can’t wait for the ascendancy of the Egyptian president as the next Chair of the African Union.
And surely I returned back to my homeland accepting the Al-Shabab Tag. I have met several Shababs from across the globe and so I am an Al-Shabab!
From the land of Peace, Wa alaykumu s-salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh SHUKRAN!


No comments:

Post a Comment